Now that fall is here it is time to get warm by the fire place and enjoy delicious and filling soups. Chicken tortilla soup is the perfect recipe for cool fall nights. While traditionally tortilla soups get topped with sour cream this recipe gets a garnish of Chobani yogurt. By swapping in Chobani Greek Yogurt, you’re serving up natural flavors that are not genetically modified (non-GMO)—now that is definitely a soup recipe you need in your life.
- 6 medium tomatillos, husked, rinsed
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 twenty-eight ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 fourteen ounce cans chicken broth
- 3 1/2 Cups shredded, cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 Cup Chobani Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt, for garnish
- 3 scallions, chopped, for garnish
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped, for garnish
- 1 1/2 Cup tortilla chips, for garnish
Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat broiler to high. In a baking dish broil tomatillos, garlic, onion, bell pepper, cumin, smoked paprika and 1 tablespoon of salt until charred and soft, stirring every 2-3 minutes, about 12 minutes total.
Remove from oven, cool 15 minutes, then peel the garlic and transfer half of the vegetable mixture to a blender.
Add half the tomatoes and half the chicken broth. Purée until smooth, pour into a pot and repeat with remaining vegetables, tomatoes and broth.
Heat over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, add chicken, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Turn off heat and divide among bowls. Finish with Chobani, scallions, jalapeños and tortilla chips. Serve.