- 1 whole chicken (3-4 pounds, cut into 16 pieces) or 4 pounds chicken thighs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- ½ teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon crushed hot red pepper
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- ½ cup peeled and chopped plum tomatoes, fresh or canned
- ½ cup small black olives, pitted but left whole, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup small green olives, pitted but left whole, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
In a Dutch oven over high heat, heat the oil until very hot. Add the chicken, skin side down, and brown well on all sides, about 6 minutes total. Remove and set aside.
Lower the heat to medium, add the onion, and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the celery and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes longer. Add the thyme, oregano, bay leaves, and crushed hot red pepper and cook for another minute or two.
Add the lemon juice and orange juice, and 1 minute later add the broth or water, tomatoes, olives, and parsley.
Partially cover the pan and let cook for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Carve the chicken if necessary and serve it garnished with more olives on top.