- 8 Cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 Cups water
- 1 Cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 small chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bunch kale or collard greens, thick stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring 1/2 cup of the broth to a simmer. Add the onion, carrots, and celery and cook about 8 minutes, or until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally.
Add the remaining broth, along with the water, rice, chicken, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook about 35 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through.
Remove the bay leaf and stir in kale. Continue cooking just until kale is wilted and tender, 3 to 5 minutes.