- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the pan
- 2 pounds cherries, pitted
- ½ cup blanched whole almonds
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ teaspoon organic almond extract
- Splash of kirsch
- Powdered sugar
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter and flour a 10- or 12-inch gratin dish or large cast-iron frying pan and arrange the cherries in the bottom. Scatter the blanched almonds evenly over the cherries.
Beat the eggs with the brown sugar and flour. When the mixture is smooth, whisk in the milk. Add the almond extract and the kirsch. Pour the batter over the fruit.
Bake for 40 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool, then dust with powdered sugar. Clafoutis tastes best at room temperature.