Already missing spring break and believe you are entitled to another vacation? Well, you are. Midterms are over, so before the work begins to pile up again, pack up the car and take a trip to the great outdoors, maybe even to a campsite just outside the city.
Either way, to make a camping trip ah-mazing, you will need to prepare ah-mazing food. Here are two simple evening recipes bound to please.
Dinner: Your not-so-basic brats
These are the ultimate campfire dinner, because, really, what could be better than brats, beans, cheese and buns?
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
1 can baked beans
½ cup shredded cheese
1. Place griddle pan on coal fire and allow time for pan to heat up. Using a fork, poke a couple of holes in the brats to allow grease to escape as brats cook.
2. Place brats on pan once it is hot enough. Cook brats for 15 minutes, or until full-cooked, occasionally flipping brats over to cook evenly.
3. While brats are cooking, prepare baked beans. Remove label from baked bean can and shake can of beans. Puncture top of baked bean can three times. This will allow air to escape as you cook the beans in the fire. Place can in fire pit, just on the edge of the flames. You will need to cook the beans for about 6 minutes, or until bubbles emerge from the holes.
4. Remove can from heat carefully, open and stir. For some unknown reason, baked beans cooked in a can over a fire do, in fact, taste the best.
5. Assemble brats on bun, add cheese and enjoy.
The hardest part of making s’mores is finding the perfect marshmallow roasting stick. So, if you are not up for the scavenger hunt, bring a metal coat hanger and bend it into the perfect, dirt-free, bug-free, mallow-toasting stick.
Prep Time: 1 minute
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 6 minutes
1 graham cracker, broken in half
6 pieces chocolate
1. Spread peanut butter on each half of graham cracker. I recommend crunchy peanut butter because it gives the s’more that extra bite.
2. Roast marshmallows until golden brown and gooey inside.
3. Assemble s’more: graham cracker, peanut butter, chocolate, marshmallows, chocolate, peanut butter, graham cracker.
4. Dig in!
More good stuff from Spoon University here: