- 8 Cups pre-sliced green cabbage
- 1 Cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 Cup grated carrot
- 1/2 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 2 Tablespoons brown mustard seeds
- 1 Tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup white-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 Teaspoons salt
- 3/4 Teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the oil to pan and swirl to coat. Add the mustard and cumin seeds and cook until the mustard seeds begin to pop, about 90 seconds. Remove from heat and stir in the garlic and jalapeño. Let the mixture stand for 2 minutes, then add the vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper, stirring with a whisk as you add. Pour the vinegar mixture over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Refrigerate if not using immediately.