I’ve made this recipe for years, it is so good! I’ve also taught it for years, even at the Culinary Institute of America to chefs there, and it just blew their minds. This salsa is great with grilled shrimp to serve for Cinco de Mayo. Skewer the shrimp, cook it on the grill, and serve with the salsa (you just might need to add more key lime juice to it).
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 lime, preferably Mexican/key lime
- 1 cup white onion, minced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ stemmed yellow/orange chile manzano (black seeds removed) or substitute 1 serrano chile or 1 jalapeño (unseeded), minced
- 1 cup coarsely mashed blackberries, fresh or thawed frozen
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup or white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea or kosher salt
Place the orange and lime juice in a bowl. Mix in the onion, cilantro and chile. Stir in the blackberries, sweetener, and salt. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more minced chile for a spicier salsa. Serve within an hour for best flavor and texture.