Bison and Barley Soup
This homey soup will keep away the chill during the cold winter months.
Can be made a couple of days ahead. Soup always tastes better after the flavors have been allowed to marry.
Freeze ½ of this batch and use later when time is catching up to you. Use within 6-9 months of freezing.
Recommended Garnishes: Herb Croutons
Serving Size: 11.7 ounces
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- 1 Pound ground bison
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 stalks celery, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- One 10-ounce can of full tomatoes in juice
- 2 Tablespoons beef bouillon (Better than Bouillon brand)
- 1 medium pearled barley
- 2 quarts water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In large skillet, sauté ground bison until cooked throughout. Add onions, carrots, and celery and cook until the onions are translucent. Add canned tomatoes with juice, beef bouillon, and barley. Stir until the bouillon is partially dissolved and tomatoes start to break apart into pieces. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 45 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.