The Best Vegetarian Chili
With three different types of beans, a confetti of color with multicolor peppers, and a subtle heat that'll tickle your tastebuds, you'll be wondering what you did B.C. — before (this) chili!
Need inspiration for other vegetarian meals? Click here to see our Best Vegetarian Recipes.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small green chili, seeded and minced
- 2 Teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon chipotle pepper flakes
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 small green bell pepper, cored, seeded, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can red pinto beans
- 1/2 Cup low-sodium vegetable broth
Heat the olive oil in a heavy bottom pot over high heat. Add the onion and cook unti softened, about 4 to 6 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and add garlic, green chili, ground cumin, chipotle flakes, nutmeg, and salt and stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Increase heat to medium-high.
Add bell peppers, stir, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and stir; bring to a simmer, cooking over low heat, covered, for about 10 minutes. Add the beans and vegetable stock and simmer, covered, for 12 to 15 more minutes.
Remove from heat and garnish with chopped cilantro (optional). Sharp white cheddar and a dallop créme fraîche pair well with this chili.