Chipotle peppers can be purchased canned in adobo sauce in the Mexican foods section of supermarkets.
If you don't have a slow cooker, use a Dutch oven to cook the beef on low on the stove top, or in a 300-degree oven for three to five hours.
- 2 1/2 to 3 Pounds boneless rump or chuck roast, cut into four pieces
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 Cup beef broth
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed
- 2 chipotle peppers, plus 1 tablespoon of sauce, see note
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 Teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Place the beef in a large slow cooker.
Add diced tomatoes, broth, garlic, chipotles, the 1 tablespoon of sauce, onion, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper to taste.
Turn slow cooker to low; cover.
Cook until meat is very tender and falling apart, about four to six hours.
Remove beef from liquid, reserving liquid; let cool.
Shred the beef with two forks.
Moisten the meat with some of the cooking liquid until the meat is moist but not dripping.
Discard remaining cooking liquid.