Goes great with some fresh cornbread.
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Cups onion, diced small
- 1 Cup celery, diced small
- 1 Cup green bell pepper, diced small
- 1 Cup red bell pepper, diced small
- 2 Tablespoons jalapeno, diced small
- 2 Tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1/2 Cup green onions, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon dark chili powder
- 1 smoked turkey leg
- 4 Cups chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon Crystal Hot Sauce
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon worcestershire
- 1 Teaspoon Steen's Sugarcane Vinegar
- 4 cans of canned light red beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 Teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper, ground fine
- salt, to taste
In a large pot or a Dutch oven, turn heat to high, melt the butter and add the onions, celery and peppers.
Saute until the vegetables are golden brown, then add the garlic, green onions, and chili powder and continue to stir well for one more minute.
Next, add the chicken stock, turkey leg, hot sauce, worcestershire, vinegar, red beans, bay leaves, cayenne, black pepper and season to taste with salt.
Let the beans simmer for 30-40 minutes until the vegetables are tender, and the turkey leg meat is tender.
Take out the turkey leg and shred the meat.
Add back to the pot and stir in well.
Taste for seasoning again at this point.
Serve with some white rice and sliced scallions.