You can substitute ground turkey instead of the ground chicken, if you wish.
Chilling before grilling helps to firm-up the meat and cheese so the cheese doesn’t melt before the meat is cooked through.
- 1 package PERDUE Fresh Ground Chicken (1 lb)
- 1/8 Teaspoon black pepper
- 4 hamburger rolls
- 1 small tomato, seeded and sliced
- 3 Tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 Teaspoon salt
- 4 chunks low-moisture mozzarella (1/2-ounce)
- Tomato slices, optional
- Fresh basil leaves, optional
- Mozzarella slices, optional
- Lettuce leaves, optional
In a medium-sized bowl, combine the ground chicken, tomato, shallots, basil, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Mix well but lightly; don’t crush the meat.
Form 4 burgers and, with your thumb, make a pocket in the center of each burger. Insert a chunk of mozzarella into the pocket, then shape the burgers to enclose the cheese.
Chill burgers 10 to 15 minutes.
Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Grill the burgers about 5 to 8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink in center. Burgers are done when they feel firm to the touch and a meat thermometer inserted in the center reaches 170°F.
Warm or lightly grill the hamburger rolls. Place a warm burger on each roll and top with the mozzarella slices, tomato slices, lettuce and basil leaves if desired.