Avocado and Chicken Summer Sandwich
Prepare for a picnic by packing this chicken and avocado sandwich, which features French bread, sweet basil pesto, grilled onions, tangy goat cheese and “slightly bitter” greens.
Recipe courtesy of the California Avocado Commission
- 1/2 Pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 Tablespoon Italian salad dressing
- 1/2 large red onion, cut into 4 rounds
- 1/2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 long French baguette
- 1 1/2 Ounce goat cheese, softened
- 3/4 Cups packed arugula
- 2 fresh avocados, seeded, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons basil pesto
Place the chicken and salad dressing in a bowl and stir until the chicken is well coated. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Brush both sides of the onion with the olive oil and set aside on a plate.
Heat a grill to medium-high. Lightly oil the hot grill. Grill the chicken and onion until the chicken is no longer pink and the onions are tender and lightly charred, about 5 to 6 minutes per side.
Let the chicken cool slightly; slice into thin strips. Separate the onion into individual rings.
Slice the baguette all the way through lengthwise. Spread the goat cheese evenly on the bottom half. Top with the chicken, onion, arugula, and avocado. Season with the salt and pepper to taste.
Spread the pesto on the top half of the baguette. Close the sandwich, cut into individual sandwiches and serve.