7 Most Creative Mooncakes
Yesterday was the Mid-Autumn Festival, or Moon Festival, giving us an excuse to round up the family and share some 800 calories of mooncake (note: that's per cake).
The holiday, which falls on the 15th day of the eighth lunar month, is an annual event in Chinese and Taiwanese tradition, and the centerpiece is always a dense pastry filled with red bean or lotus seed paste, sometimes with a salted egg yolk. While traditional mooncakes are decorated with floral patterns and Chinese letterings, there’s a slew of bakers out there making mooncakes shaped like Hello Kitty.
We’ve rounded up seven mooncakes that struck our fancy, whether it’s design, or flavor combinations, or both.
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.
- Burger King Has Chicken Tenders for the First Time Ever
- What PDA Is OK Today — and What Isn’t
- What Every Woman Over 50 Should Know About Her Health
- The 25 Most Popular Halloween Candies in America
- 260-Layer Cake Breaks Guinness World Record