6 Classic and Creative Pumpkin Pie Recipes
Pumpkin pie is a traditional fall dessert that's a staple on Thanksgiving tables across the country. Classic pumpkin pie is always comforting and makes us reminisce about our mother’s or grandmother’s recipe. But if you have the urge to go nuts with your pumpkin pie this year — try some of these creative recipes that include a streusel nut topping and other inventive ingredients.
To help take your pumpkin pie to the next level, we spoke with Kate Rowe, the culinary managing editor at Whole Foods Market. Here are some of her tips:
- Nuts make a great flavor pairing with pumpkin, so for pies, consider making a crust that uses pecans, walnuts, or almonds.
- If you’d like to cook your own pumpkin, look for varieties called out as sugar pumpkins or eating pumpkins. Note that fresh pumpkin contains a lot of moisture, so drain it after you cook it, and again after puréeing it, before proceeding with your pie recipe. You may need to make adjustments to your recipe — a perfect reason to do some practice pies — so bake a few in the weeks leading up to settle on your favorite recipe, spice blend, etc.
- Flavors to consider pairing with pumpkin are nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, coconut, honey, maple, and vanilla.
We’ve rounded up a few of our favorite out-of-the-box pies, but also kept it classic with a good old-fashioned standby recipe, too. Check out our recipes and make pumpkin pie a part of your Thanksgiving feast.
Emily Jacobs is the Recipe editor at The Daily Meal. Follow her on Twitter @EmilyRecipes.
- Burger King Has Chicken Tenders for the First Time Ever
- What PDA Is OK Today — and What Isn’t
- What Every Woman Over 50 Should Know About Her Health
- The 25 Most Popular Halloween Candies in America
- 260-Layer Cake Breaks Guinness World Record