1. Heat your 4-quart stock pot over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
2. Working in two batches, brown the beef on all sides in a hot, dry pan. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
3. Add the onions and half a cup of broth to the pot. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes (until the onions are softened).
4. Stir in the garlic and thyme. Cook uncovered for about 2 minutes.
5. Stir in the flour and tomato paste. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
6. Stir in the wine and the remaining broth, scraping the bottom of the pot to ensure it's fully mixed together.
7. Add the beef and bay leaf.
8. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Cover and cook until steam just begins to escape from under the lid (about 10 minutes).
10. Spin the lid to engage the vapor seal then immediately reduce the heat to low. Cook for 1 hour.
11. Stir in the potatoes and carrots. Cover and cook for 45 to 60 minutes or until the beef is very tender.
12. Stir in the peas and cook for about 10 minutes until the peas are just tender.
13. Serve the meal and eat it up!