Every Friday, The Daily Byte's Weekly Media Mix rounds up some of the week's big food stories.
• The UN reports that world food prices are approaching a record high. [Bloomberg]
• The menu served in the White House Situation Room last Sunday: turkey pita wraps, cold shrimp, potato chips, soda. [HuffPo]
• New study questions the benefits of a low-salt diet. [WSJ]
• The Star Chefs and Vinters Gala kicks off May 15th. [GSSF]
• French Culinary Institute adds two new deans: David Kinch and Emily Luchetti. [GSNY]
Shame of the Week
• Child hospitalized after her mother served her noodles from a pot laced with PCP. [HuffPo]
• Glee features fondue on this week's episode. [YouTube]
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.