Food Network star Robert Irvine and Gold’s Gym have teamed up for Trim the Fat Friday: offering healthy alternatives to traditional recipes and opening up Gold’s Gym locations nationwide for FREE on Friday, November 28, inviting people to come in and work off their Thanksgiving meal.
These potatoes can be steamed to preserve more of the flavor and vitamins or boiled if you wish.
Copyright 2011. R. Mission Inc.
- 4 Pounds sweet potatoes or yams, (4 to 6 yams or about 12 sweet potatoes) peeled and cut into 1- to 1½-inch chunks
- ¼ stick butter
- 3 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ Teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ to ½ Cup light cream cheese, as needed to achieve desired consistency
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
To steam the potatoes, place them in a single layer on a rack placed over a large shallow pan of water with a large pot lid to cover. Cook over medium high-heat until tender. Replenish the water in the pan if it boils off before they are tender.
Place the potatoes in a large bowl and mash by hand with a masher. Then, using a beater, whip in the maple syrup, honey, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and enough cream cheese to achieve your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.