This delicious and nutritious meal is full of flavor.
“It has smoky, spicy chipotle, which balances with the creamy, cooling avocado as well as the sweet citrusy orange and nutty almond in the background,” says Abigail Nagorski, Lifestyle Center Culinary Instructor at Whole Foods Market, Boca Raton. “The fire-roasted corn gives it a nice crunch as well.”
- 1 Pound boneless, skinless chicken breast and 2 medium-sized pieces
- 1 Teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 Teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 Teaspoon orange zest
- Juice of 1 orange
- 2 Teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons low-sodium tamari
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 Cup chopped cilantro, save a few whole leaves for garnish
- 1/4 Cup roasted almonds
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 2 whole roasted red bell peppers, sliced thin
- 4 Cups organic cooked quinoa
- 2 Cups cooked black beans, if using canned, rinse and drain well
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place the chipotle powder, orange zest and juice, vinegar, tamari, garlic, cilantro, and almonds into a blender and puree until smooth.
Pour ¼ cup of this mixture onto the chicken and coat both sides. Place in a baking dish and sprinkle the smoked paprika right over the top.
Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until just cooked through. Set aside and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes.
In the meantime combine the quinoa, corn and black beans in a medium sauce pan and add a splash of water. Heat through on medium heat until fully hot.
Stir in the red bell pepper and the rest of the sauce and divide onto 4 plates.
Slice chicken on an angle and divide onto the 4 portions of quinoa.
Top with a side of avocado and some whole leaves of cilantro.