- 2¼ Cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Teaspoons baking soda
- ½ Teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1½ Teaspoon cinnamon, such as Whole Foods Market Organic Fair Trade Ceylon Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon ginger, such as Whole Foods Market Organic Fair Trade Ginger
- ¾ Teaspoon ground cloves, such as Whole Foods Market Organic Fair Trade Ground Cloves
- ¾ Teaspoon allspice, such as 365 Everyday Value Organic Allspice Ground
- ¾ Cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ Cup packed brown sugar
- ½ Cup plus 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 eggs
- 1 Teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 Cup unsulphured molasses
- 2 Teaspoons grated orange zest
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and allspice; set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and ½ cup of the granulated sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the egg, vanilla, and molasses and beat until combined. Continue to beat the butter on low speed while adding the flour mixture, just until combined.
Combine the remaining ⅓ cup granulated sugar and orange zest in a shallow bowl. To form each cookie, roll about 2 tablespoons of the dough into a 1 ½-inch ball, then roll in sugar mixture and transfer to ungreased baking sheets, spacing cookies about 2 inches apart. Bake until the outer edges begin to set and the centers are soft and puffy, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool for 2 to 3 minutes then transfer the cookies to cooling racks and let them cool completely.