Here’s a crispy, crunchy oven-fried chicken recipe from Kretschmer that won’t leave your guests feeling liked they missed out on the real thing. We've double-dipped it — first in wheat germ and then in crushed corn flakes — to give it that nice, crunchy outside that makes traditional fried chicken irresistible.
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- ¾ Cup wheat germ, such as Kretschmer Original Toasted Wheat Germ
- ½ Teaspoon paprika
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- ½ Teaspoon pepper
- ¼ to ½ Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ Cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 Cups corn flakes, crushed
- 4 large chicken legs, skin removed (about 1 pound)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 pound)
Place a rack in the upper third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Oil a baking sheet with sides.
In a shallow bowl, mix together the wheat germ, paprika, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Pour the buttermilk, whisked eggs, and corn flakes into three separate shallow bowls (4 bowls total).
Taking one piece of chicken at a time, dip it first into the buttermilk, then the wheat germ mixture, then the egg, and finally the corn flake crumbs, patting with your fingers to make sure the crumbs adhere. Place pieces on prepared baking sheet.
Bake until the chicken is crisp and golden, 40 to 45 minutes. Serve immediately or at room temperature.