For a variation on the typical green salad, try this warm winter version. Gently sautéed curly endive or escarole and radicchio create the base, while capers, olives, currants, pine nuts and orange zest make this salad dance in your mouth. Add crisp bacon, grilled sausage, or prosciutto for a heartier dish.
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 bunch curly endive or escarole (about 3/4 pound), roughly chopped
- 1 head radicchio (about 3/4 pound), cored and roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons oil-packed capers, drained
- 12 Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 Teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
- 3 Teaspoons dried currents
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 Tablespoons toasted pine nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts or pecans
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
Heat oil in a large pot or wok over medium high heat. Add endive and radicchio and cook, stirring constantly, until just wilted, about 5 minutes. Add capers, olives, pepper flakes and currants and cook, tossing gently, for another 15 seconds. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice and sprinkle pine nuts and orange zest on top. Serve immediately.