Vegetarian Tuscan Vegetable Soup
This easy vegetarian soup gains color from tomatoes, carrots, and kale. Cannellini beans and vegetarian sausage links add protein, while fennel seeds provide an unusual flavor addition that helps this recipe stand out.
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 15 Ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 Ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 Teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 Teaspoon thyme
- 3-4 Cups vegetable broth or stock
- 2 Cups kale, chopped
- 5 vegetarian sausage links, chopped, preferably Morningstar Farms brand
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (optional)
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, sauté onion and carrot until onion is softened and carrot is just crisp-tender.
Add broth, tomatoes and juice, cannellini beans, garlic, fennel, and thyme. Boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add kale, vegetarian sausage, and salt and pepper. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, or until sausage is heated through.
Serve topped with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, if you'd like.