- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 15 Ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 Ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 Teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 Teaspoon thyme
- 3-4 Cups vegetable broth or stock
- 2 Cups kale, chopped
- 5 vegetarian sausage links, chopped, preferably Morningstar Farms brand
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (optional)
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, sauté onion and carrot until onion is softened and carrot is just crisp-tender.
Add broth, tomatoes and juice, cannellini beans, garlic, fennel, and thyme. Boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add kale, vegetarian sausage, and salt and pepper. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, or until sausage is heated through.
Serve topped with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, if you'd like.