Spinach and Lentils
Here's a very simple yet healthy and delicious way to eat your greens. Serve this warm with rice or Indian roti for a complete vegetarian meal.
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chiles
- 1/4 Cup sliced onions
- 1 Thai green chile, slit down the middle
- 1 Teaspoon minced garlic, smashed into a paste
- 1 Teaspoon minced ginger, smashed into a paste
- Salt, to taste
- Pinch of turmeric
- Pinch of asafoetida powder
- 1/2 Pound spinach, chopped roughly
- 1/2 Cup cooked lentils
- 1 Cup basmati rice, cooked, or 2 pieces roti, for serving
Heat the oil in a pan over low heat. Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and red chiles and fry until the mustard crackles, for 1-2 minutes. Add the onions, Thai chile, garlic, ginger, and a little salt, and cook until browned slightly.
Then, add the turmeric and asafoetida powder. Next, add the spinach and stir well to combine. Add the cooked lentils and cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve warm with rice or roti.