PointsPlus Spaghetti Amatriciana
What’s that? Think you can’t have pasta on a diet? Think again. Using reduced-fat bacon and whole-wheat spaghetti keeps the PointsPlus value for this recipe down, while retaining flavor.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- Salt, for cooking pasta, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 slices reduced-fat bacon
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Black pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil, chopped, for serving (optional)
- Parmesan cheese, grated, for serving (optional)
Bring a pot of water to boil over high heat. Salt the water until it tastes like the sea. Add the spaghetti, and cook until al dente. Reserve ¼ cup of cooking water and then drain the pasta.
Meanwhile, heat the oil over medium heat in a nonstick skillet. Cook the bacon, flipping once, until crisp; remove from the pan and set aside. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the onion; cook until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Crumble the bacon into the pan and add the tomatoes and red pepper flakes; toss to mix and coat.
Add the pasta and reserved pasta cooking water to the tomato sauce; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve with fresh chopped basil and grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.*