PointsPlus Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Shallots Recipe
Give this a try — it's a straightforward and delicious recipe for Brussels sprouts that won't require a whole lot of effort — most of the work gets done by the oven. Look for Brussels sprouts on the stalk, if the store has them; they tend to be fresher and have better flavor.
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 6 medium-sized shallots, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup canned chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Spread the almonds in a single layer on a nonstick roasting pan. Toast in the oven until the nuts are slightly browned and aromatic, stirring once, about 3 minutes. Immediately, remove the almonds from the roasting pan and set aside.
Place the Brussels sprouts in the same pan used for the almonds and add the shallots. In a small bowl, combine the broth, thyme, vinegar, salt, pepper, and sugar. Pour over the vegetables and toss to mix and coat.
Roast the Brussels sprouts until tender, shaking the pan occasionally, about 30 minutes. Spoon the Brussels sprouts into a serving dish. Top with the oil and sprinkle with the almonds.