- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 medium-sized cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 5 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 1/2 pounds lean trimmed beef brisket
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Spread the onion and garlic on the bottom of a nonstick roasting pan and top with the carrots and mushrooms. Arrange the beef over the vegetables.
In a mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, paprika, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, and sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
Pour the tomato mixture over the brisket and vegetables and cover tightly with a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Roast for 2 hours and then remove from the oven. Uncover, stir, and use the pan juices to baste the meat. Return the brisket to the oven and roast for about 1 more hour, uncovered, basting every 15 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing into ¼-inch-thick pieces. Serve the meat and vegetables with the sauce spooned over the top.