*Note: Look for 1 1/4 pound packages of already peeled and cubed butternut squash in the produce section of the grocery store. It’s an incredible time-saver.
- 20 ounces fresh butternut squash, peeled and cubed*
- 2 medium-sized Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
Put the squash, apples, and cider in a shallow microwave-safe baking dish or container. Sprinkle butter over the top. Cover and microwave until tender, about 10-12 minutes. Mash until smooth, yet slightly chunky. Stir in the thyme, salt, and pepper.