PointsPlus Chicken with Balsamic Vinegar, Sweet Onions, and Thyme Recipe
Tangy-sweet balsamic vinegar, chicken broth, and thyme combine to form a quick pan sauce for this easy and delicious chicken recipe.
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Four 4-ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small Vidalia onion, halved lengthwise and sliced thinly
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons salted butter
On a plate, combine the flour, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture and turn to coat. Shake off any excess.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, flipping once, until golden and cooked through, about 7 minutes. Remove to a serving plate and cover to keep warm.
Add the onion to the skillet and sauté until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the broth, vinegar, thyme, and remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook until the onions are tender, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the butter until melted. Spoon the sauce over the chicken.