- Cooking spray
- 2/3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped Spanish onion
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, shredded
- 3 cups vegetable or mushroom broth
- 1 cup barley
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Coat a heavy saucepan with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Melt the butter in the pan. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms release their moisture, stirring a few times, about 5 minutes.
Add the broth, barley, and salt and bring to a boil. Partially cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Simmer until the barley is tender, stirring occasionally, about 60-75 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.