- 1 Cup orange lentils, such as Pereg Gourmet, picked through and rinsed
- 2 Cups water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons tahini
- ¼ Cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 2–3 Tablespoons water, for desired consistency
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ Teaspoon ground black pepper
- Sweet paprika, for garnish
- Pita bread and vegetables, for serving
Put the lentils in a 2-quart saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain and let cool.
Place the lentils in a food processor and add the garlic and tahini and pulse until combined. Then add the olive oil, water, lemon juice, cumin, salt, and pepper and blend until smooth.
Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with paprika. Serve with pita bread and raw vegetables.