- 8 Ounces mixed mushrooms, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 Teaspoons canola oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh mixed herbs, such as thyme, parsley, and tarragon
- 4 large slices bread, such as Tuscan bread
- 3 Ounces Fontina cheese
Heat a saute pan until hot. Add the mushrooms, lower the heat to medium, and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Cook until mushrooms release liquid and start to brown and wilt, 3 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon oil and continue cooking until mushrooms are softened. Add the shallots and saute for 3 minutes longer, adding more oil if needed. Pour in the vinegar and cook until absorbed, about 2 minutes. Stir in the herbs.
Spread some of the oil onto 1 side of the bread slices, and sprinkle lightly with salt. Heat the remaining oil in a large saute pan. Lay the cheese over 2 of the bread slices, and top evenly with the mushrooms. Add all 4 bread slices to the pan. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, and then cover and continue cooking until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes longer. Assemble and serve.