Hearty Vegetable Lentil Stew
This is one "meaty" vegetarian stew, thanks to the pumpkin purée, potatoes, lentils, and smorgasbord of vegetables. Garnish each bowl of soup with a little grated cheese — maybe Parmigiano-Reggiano or Asiago. Or, add a dollop of sour cream, yogurt, or crème fraîche. Recipe courtesy of David Venable, host of QVC's cooking show In the Kitchen with David.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Teaspoons minced garlic
- 2½ Cups thinly sliced leeks
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 Cup medium dice carrots
- 1 Cup medium dice red skin potatoes
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1½ Cup canned pumpkin puree
- 5 Cups vegetable stock
- 1½ Teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Teaspoon cumin
- 1 Teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1½ Cup cooked lentils
- 1 15-ounce can white beans with liquid
- ¾ Cup fresh green beans, snapped in half
- ½ Cup canned roasted red peppers, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large stockpot. Add the garlic, leeks, celery, carrots, and potatoes and sauté until the leeks begin to soften.
Add the tomatoes, pumpkin, vegetable stock, oregano, cumin, and paprika. Bring to a simmer and continue to cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
Add the lentils, white beans, green beans, red peppers, and sage. Return to a simmer and continue to cook another 10 minutes. Serve hot.