Coconut-Curry Chicken Stew
Some curry powder contains salt, so be sure to read the label on yours before adding additional salt to this recipe. Start to finish, this stew is ready in about 30 minutes. Make it on a busy weeknight. Recipe courtesy of David Venable, host of QVC's cooking show In the Kitchen with David.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Cup chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks lemongrass (or the rind of a lemon), cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 Teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 Teaspoons plus 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ Teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ Teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 13.66-ounce can light coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2½ Cups boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/3 Cup cilantro, chopped, loosely packed
- 2/3 Cups cooked white rice (optional, for serving)
- 1/3 Cup toasted coconut (optional garnish)
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a 5-quart stockpot (or select the stovetop setting on your Ninja Cooking System). Add the onions, garlic, lemongrass, and ginger, and cook until the onions are translucent.
Stir in the curry powder, black pepper, red pepper flakes, coconut milk, and sugar.
Add the chicken pieces and cook until the chicken is completely cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the cilantro and stir until completely incorporated.
Serve over white rice, if desired, and garnish with the toasted coconut.