Baked Chicken with Spinach, Pears, and Blue Cheese
The fall flavor combination of pears and blue cheese brings a seasonal element to an otherwise simple chicken dish.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 Cup diced red onion
- 4 Cups loosely packed spinach (not baby), washed, dried, stems removed
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 ripe Anjou pears, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3/4 Cups blue cheese crumbles
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously season each chicken breast with salt and pepper. In a large, ovenproof skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and sear breasts 2 to 3 minutes each side until lightly golden. Place pan in oven and bake until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
While chicken is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan over medium heat and sauté red onion until just softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add spinach and toss until wilted. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a large platter or divide evenly between 4 plates. Wipe out pan and heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil with vinegar. Add pears and gently heat until warm. Stir in parsley. Arrange cooked chicken breasts on spinach. Top with warmed pear slices and about 2 tablespoons blue cheese per breast.