Per Serving: 285 cal., 13 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 145 mg chol., 526 mg sodium, 9 g carb., 2 g fiber, 32 g pro.
Excerpted from BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS SKINNY DINNERS © 2014 by Better Homes and Gardens. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil (not toasted)
- 4 large bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 1/4 pounds total), skin removed
- 1 Tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ Teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 Tablespoons cold water
- 1 Teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 Cups coarsely chopped cauliflower florets
- ½ Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- Snipped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Finely shredded orange peel (optional)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 2-quart square baking dish with cooking spray. In a very large nonstick skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the hot oil; cook about 10 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Transfer the chicken to the prepared dish, arranging in a single layer. Drain and discard the drippings from the skillet.
In a small bowl whisk together the soy sauce, orange peel, orange juice, vinegar, brown sugar, crushed red pepper, cold water, and cornstarch; add to the skillet. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; pour the sauce over the chicken thighs in the dish.
Bake, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until chicken is done (175 degrees F).
Meanwhile, place the cauliflower in a large food processor. Cover and pulse several times until the cauliflower is evenly chopped into rice-size pieces.
Wipe out the skillet and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Heat the oil over medium-high heat; add the cauliflower, salt, and pepper. Cook the cauliflower, stirring occasionally for 8 to 10 minutes, until you begin to see caramelized flecks throughout. If desired, sprinkle cauliflower with cilantro and orange peel and serve with chicken thighs.