Note: This recipe can be kept for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup barley
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups peeled and diced butternut squash
- 2 cups peeled and diced turnips
- 1 medium-sized red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons almonds, chopped and toasted
Bring the water and 1 teaspoon of the salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the barley, cover, and simmer until tender, about 35 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray. Place the squash, turnips, and onion on the baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and season with the remaining salt and cayenne. Toss to combine. Roast, tossing the vegetables once or twice, until lightly charred and tender, about 20-25 minutes.
Drain the barley and return to the pot. Stir in the currants, cumin, cinnamon, and roasted vegetables. Toss with the almonds just before serving.