Toddler Was Accidentally Served Alcohol at Joe’s Crab Shack

A group of kids ages 2 to 8 were accidentally served an alcoholic version of a drink off the kids’ menu at Joe’s Crab Shack

The alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks looked so much alike that the server didn’t notice the difference.

A group of kids ages 2 through 8 were checked out by paramedics after they were accidentally served alcoholic drinks at Joe’s Crab Shack, a mid-sized seafood chain. The children had ordered the “Shark Nibble,” a drink off of the kids’ menu that is bright blue and features a shot of grenadine and a toy shark. The children were actually served the “Shark Bite,” an adult beverage made with similar ingredients, plus rum and vodka. Both drinks are bright blue and come with the plastic shark.

After the children were served the drink, a server came by 30 minutes later and took the drinks away because they contained “the wrong ingredients.” But it was too late:  the children had already taken sips, and in the case of the 2-year-old: downed it completely. All of the children were taken to the hospital, and were pronounced fine upon being checked out by paramedics.

The whole thing was apparently a “mislabeling” accident. The kids’ drink is supposed to be served in a plastic cup, while the adult drink is usually served in a glass.

"Joe's Crab Shack is aware of this incident at the Colorado Springs Location, and we are investigating this matter internally,” the company said in a statement. “We do not condone underage service of any kind. Our guests can rest assured that our processes are continuously examined so that incidents like this are avoided. "

For the latest happenings in the food and drink world, visit our Food News page.


Joanna Fantozzi is an Associate Editor with The Daily Meal. Follow her on Twitter @JoannaFantozzi