Healthy Drinks for Kids
A friend and I were just reminiscing about our favorite childhood drinks: Capri Sun, Juicy Juice, Sunny D, Kool-Aid... at the time, I was really, profoundly upset with my mom, who I deemed a health nut, because she only let me have those drinks on special occasions, whereas some of my friends got to enjoy them every day. But in retrospect, there are some very good reasons my mom only allowed me packets full of sugar water and high fructose corn syrup as an occasional treat: these drinks are devoid of pretty much all nutritional value, can develop a lifelong habit of slurping down sugary drinks, increasing the risk of diabetes.
So if most of the packaged stuff is off the table, what are some good, healthy drinks for kids?
We recommend throwing some fresh, whole fruits in water to create flavorful, sweet, good-for-you drinks. For instance, one sliced strawberry can perfume a whole pitcher full of water, making this drink both healthful and cost-effective.
Jess Novak is the Drink Editor of The Daily Meal. Follow her on Twitter @jesstothenovak
With additional reporting by Galen Duffy.
- Dîner en Blanc Is the Largest, Most Extravagant Dinner Party You’ve Never Heard Of
- Meat Supplier Connected to Publix E.Coli Cases Issues Further Recall
- These Airline Pilot Secrets Will Make You Less Afraid to Fly
- Alton Brown Cooking His Steak With Mayonnaise Is Actually a Genius Hack
- McDonald's Is Serving Poutine in Chicago for a Limited Time