- 3 pounds fresh pumpkin, seeded and chopped*
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 small tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger root
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup fresh pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
In a 5-quart slow cooker, combine the first 7 ingredients and ½ teaspoon of the salt. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until the pumpkin and apples are tender.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
Toss the pumpkin seeds with the oil and remaining salt. Spread onto an ungreased 10-by-15-inch baking pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
Cool the soup slightly; process in batches in a blender. Transfer to a large saucepan and heat through. Garnish with the toasted pumpkin seeds.