kitchen burner
Shutterstock

Can of Cooking Spray Explodes, Critically Injuring a New Jersey Woman

Editor
Cooking accidents are the leading cause of residential fires

A Toms River, New Jersey, woman suffered second- and third-degree burns to her face last week after a can of cooking spray she’d left near a burner on the stove exploded. The explosion started a fire that ignited the woman’s clothing, burning her face. Firefighters were able to contain the blaze and take the victim to the hospital. She is currently in stable condition at St. Barnabas Medical Center burn unit in Livingston, New Jersey.

According to Toms River chief fire inspector Kevin Esposito, "Cooking fires are the leading cause of residential fires and injuries caused by those fires.” Esposito told reporters for NJ.com that people often leave flammable or combustible materials near burners, starting fires they don’t know how to extinguish correctly.

In June, a New York City woman burned to death in a kitchen fire, and the same month, French fitness Instagrammer Rebecca Burger was killed when a whipped cream dispenser exploded in her kitchen, striking her in the chest and causing cardiac arrest.

Related
Ten Top Barbecue Joints in TexasMake the Ultimate Barbecue Sauce7 Unexpectedly Awesome Uses for Cooking Spray

Use safe practices when cooking, whether in your kitchen or outside — click here to read 9 safety tips for your summer barbecue