Summer's produce brings us many beautiful things — from zucchini and corn to ripe and vibrant tomatoes. Another thing you'll find during the summer are fresh cherries, and this is a sweet way to put them to good use. You won't want to enjoy vanilla ice cream without this sauce after trying it.
- 1/2 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- 1 3/4 Pound pitted cherries
- 1/4 Cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon cognac
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon heavy cream
- 1/4 Cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
Dissolve the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Set aside.
Melt the butter in a large sauté pan. Add the cherries, cornstarch, ¼ cup of water, and the heavy cream. Bring to boil. Lower the heat and add the cognac. Cover and simmer until the cherries soften, about 8-10 minutes.
Remove the lid and stir until the mixture thickens. Transfer to a serving bowl and spoon over vanilla ice cream and enjoy.