Bibb Lettuce and Watercress with Lemon-Mint Dressing Recipe
The brightness of the lemon-mint dressing nicely balances out the slighty spicy bitterness of the watercress in this simple salad. Letting the salad sit for a few minutes before serving softens up the leaves as the lemony-mint dressing is soaked up. Blood oranges or any other type of citrus is a great addition for some added color. Try serving this dish with a simply cooked piece of white fish for a healthy, balanced meal.
- 2 tablespoons good quality extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- Juice of ½ lemon, plus more as needed
- 1 sprig of mint, leaves removed and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 head of Bibb or Boston lettuce, trimmed
- 1 bunch of red or green watercress (about 1-2 cups), stems removed
- 2 sprigs cilantro or basil, leaves removed, chiffonaded (optional)
- 1 blood orange, segmented
- Sunflower seeds (optional)
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, mint, salt, and pepper. Taste. Re-season as necessary, adding more lemon or oil as needed. Set aside.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Mix the dressing so it's combined, then pour over the salad. Toss gently, preferably using your hands, until all the leaves are coated. Let sit for about 5 minutes, then serve immediately.