- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Cup chopped onion
- 1 Cup chopped celery
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 Cup chopped carrots
- 1 Pound chicken breasts, shredded, boneless, skinless
- 2 Cups chopped zucchini
- 1/2 Cup brown rice (not instant)
- 2 1/2 Cups low-sodium chicken stock
- One 8 ounce can mild Mexican green chiles, drained
- 1/4 Teaspoon cumin
- One 31.6-ounce cans great Northern beans, with liquid
- 1 Tablespoon chopped oregano
- 1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, to taste
- Green salsa verde, to taste
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium sauté pan. Add onions, celery, and garlic. Cook until garlic is aromatic, approximately 5 minutes.
Place carrots in bottom of slow cooker. Top with chicken, onions, celery, and garlic mixture.
Add zucchini, rice, chicken stock, chiles, cumin, and beans.
Cook in 4-quart slow cooker on high setting for 4 hours or until vegetables and chicken are tender.
Add oregano and parsley. Cook for 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Serve with desired amount of cheese and green salsa verde on top.