Weekly Media Mix: Sex for McNuggets; Gourmet Video Game Food; and Kraft Cuts Jobs
The Daily Byte's Weekly Media Mix rounds up the week's big food stories.
• Kraft Foods, Inc. plans to cut 1,600 jobs in North America this year. [BusinessWeek]
• Beef prices are expected to go up 9 percent; chicken prices up 5 percent in the upcoming year.
[Tampa Bay Times]
• Next teases its elBulli menu with a twit pic. [Twitter/dcberan]
• Yuengling is now the largest American brewer, passing The Boston Beer Company. [AdAge]
Shame of the Week
• A Los Angeles woman was arrested for reportedly offering sexual favors in exchange for chicken McNuggets at a McDonald's drive-thru. [Burbank Leader]
• Ancient corn remnants dating back to 6,700 years ago were found in Peru, along with indications that ancient inhabitants ate popcorn. [Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute]
• NPR chats with a 20-something blogger who recreates gamer food from Kingdom of Hearts and Super Mario Bros. [NPR]
• A Danish lobby group is suing the government over the recent "fat tax," claiming that the tax distorts competition. [Food Navigator]
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.