The Daily Byte's Weekly Media Mix rounds up the week's big food stories.
• The McRib has returned, and Chicago Mag looks at the invention of the non-rib sandwich. It's actually not that gross. [Chicago Mag]
• Chris Hanmer won Top Chef: Just Desserts with a chocolate chip cookie-inspired dish. [Bravo]
• Google paid Zagat about $151 million in cash. The Zagats must be happy. [Eater]
Shame of the Week
• An Orange County doctor was arrested on charges of illegally prescribing painkillers at various Starbucks. [LA Times]
• A man who has stolen more than 1,000 pounds of avocados is now banned from owning more than 10 avocados at a time. [The Weird Bit]
• Scientists have developed a plate to detect radiation levels in food. [Daily Mail]
• Anonymous Tweeter/critic/parody Ruth Bourdain releases an email and cellphone number: (772) 257-4501. [Twitter/@RuthBourdain]
• A mother investigates McDonald's play areas and finds some pretty disgusting things you don't want your kids near. [YouTube/almoststrikegently]
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.