Variations on a Classic: Corned Beef & Cabbage
When it comes to St. Patrick's Day corned beef and cabbage is a holiday staple. This simple, hearty meat-and-potatoes dish lends naturally to inspired and unique variations. Here are upcoming dishes to sample this year:
• Virgil's is applying their extensive BBQ knowledge to the classic Reuben sandwich. Smoked corned beef is smothered with Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and a horseradish-dill dressing.
• Chef Wade Burch at South West NY serves Reuben soup filled with Brussels sprouts, potatoes, corned beef, and caraway seeds. He also makes a corned beef quesadilla — rye tortilla with Swiss, sauerkraut, and corned beef with chipotle Russian dressing, avocado, and caraway scented crema.
• When it's time to fill up on something other than green beer, head to Prairie Fire which will be serving corned beef spring rolls.
• Coinciding with their annual Mac Madness festival, Rockit Bar and Grill will offer a special corned beef and cabbage mac and cheese on St. Patty's. The dish includes Irish cheddar and a whiskey mustard cream sauce.
• Craigie on Main is taking the traditional hash to new heights by combining house-brined corned beef with smoked beef tongue to create their brunch special.
• Ray's & Stark Bar will serve corned beef tongue, chow-chow, mustard seeds, grilled onions, and crispy potatoes.
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.