Upgraded Boxed Cake Mix
Boxed cake mix is a grown up version of Easy Bake Oven but instead of watching a dinky lightbulb cook the goop we’re now trusted with an actual oven. That’s adulthood.
Might as well try to give the goop some class, right? Try these ingredient hacks (no, the list does not include using soda instead of eggs… it’s nasty and scientifically dumfounding) to make boxed cake much more interesting.
First, add some extra moisture and density. Some options:
1. Add a packet of instant pudding mix. Use vanilla instant pudding for yellow cake, chocolate instant pudding for chocolate cake… you get the picture.
2. Add an extra egg.
3. Add 1 cup sour cream
4. Add 1/4 cup mayonnaise.
Next, swap your liquid.
1. Swap the oil for melted butter and the water for milk or buttermilk.
2. For chocolate cake, swap the water for room temperature coffee or Kahlua for a mocha taste.
3. Swap the milk and oil for 2 cups melted ice cream. Any flavor works. Go crazy.
4. Swap the water for orange or apple juice in a vanilla cake.
Last, enhance the flavor. Some ideas:
1. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
2. Add zest from a lemon, lime or orange.
3. Replace some of the liquid with chocolate syrup.
4. Add chocolate chips, sprinkles, chopped nuts, 1 teaspoon cinnamon or other add-ins.
Cake mix is child’s play compared to real recipes, but with some minor modifications even the cheapest box of Betty Crocker can taste (relatively) homemade.