Tomato, Cucumber, and Gorgonzola Salad Recipe
This is a slight variation on a salad served at the Pelican Club, a private dining room attached to the venerable Gaido’s restaurant in Galveston, Texas.
- 4 medium-sized, ripe but firm red or yellow tomatoes, refrigerated for 3-4 hours, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1 medium cucumber, refrigerated for 3–4 hours, then peeled, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
- Salt, to taste
- 3 ounces of young gorgonzola, shaved into strips with a vegetable peeler
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Divide the tomato and cucumber slices evenly between 4 chilled plates, arranging them in overlapping circles, alternating tomatoes and cucumbers. Drizzle olive oil over them, then season lightly with salt.
Divide the cheese evenly between the plates, placing the strips over the cucumbers and tomatoes. Drizzle a little more olive oil over the cheese, then season generously with pepper.