I started cooking eggplant this way because my wife doesn't like it grilled. As it turned out, she doesn't like it this way either. No problem. More for me.
- 1 large eggplant (1-1 ½ pounds), unpeeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
Combine the eggplant, onion, oil, butter, agave syrup, and soy sauce in a stainless steel saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Season generously with pepper. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 20–25 minutes, or until eggplant is very soft and sauce is very thick.